Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chapter 3: Skip to Balzac (no snickering!)

I know. How immature can I be? I can't help it. Well, my library didn't have any of the Austen books on hand, so I stuck my name on the hold lists and grabbed the next book down the line, Cousin Bette by Honore de Balzac. I just wanted to inform anyone that is trying to follow along with my supposed "alphabetical by author" story (lies!).

My first impression of the book is that this is another French author, and the story takes place in the mid-1800's. It will be interesting to see Balzac's point of view on Paris and French coulture compared to Fournier. There is an introduction at the beginning of the book that explains that this is only part 1 of 2 books, the second titled Cousin Pons. I don't know why Bette is on The List, but Pons is not. I might have to read the other as well, but we will see how I feel after I finish this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment